Sunday, November 21, 2010

Odds and Ends

A very harried Sister Gregory writing:

Today is Sunday and it was kind of a disaster for me. I taught a lesson in Relief Society and thought I was prepared. But most of the sisters only speak Malay, so I tried to get some of the other sisters to translate. It was hard to speak, translate (and they had a hard time with gospel words) then try to go to the next part. I felt it was a mess. There must be a better way, but I'm not sure. The elders always want to come in and translate, but the member\sisters do not want them in there. Anyway... I felt very frustrated.
Then we hurried home with lots of people for dinner. I had the 'chick\rice' in the oven. Though I've finally figured out how to make the oven work - it works on a timer and will only stay on for 1 hr. So Garald ran home between SS (he taught gosp doc) and Priesthood. We turned it on a low temperature because I didn't think burning the apartment tower down would be very good PR for us or the church. Anyway when we got home with guests in tow - it was barely warm. I turned the oven as high as it would go and crossed my fingers. Well, it took a while - longer than I wanted - before it was done. I think eveyone was so hungry (2 children especially) that when I finally got it on the table - it disappeared almost instantly. Thought it was a large pan of food, but could have used more. Some cabbage salad left over, but the chocolate cake was gone. The 'grandma' of the young mother who is an investigator tried to walk out onto the balcony through the glass door and I mean 'through.' She didn't realize there was glass there. Stunned for a moment but seemed okay. I must come up with some other Sunday dinner menu - filling, cheap, fast, easily cooked after church. Any ideas anyone?
Sister Felicia (Chinese) mentioned something about Thanksgiving and turkey a week ago and I mistakenly thought she was inviting us to Thanksgiving at her house. How nice! Realized my mistake later when we talked and she said she'd bring the turkey. She and another man in the branch Wee Lee, are coming for Thanksgiving as well as the 4 elders - I think. Don't ask me anything too deep - my brain is mush. Anyway, I'm glad I got that figured out. They can't come until 8:00 at night after work. I'm going to do potatoes\gravy, stuffing, veggies, etc. I've hunted everywhere but can find no canned pumpkin. They do have a vegetable - brownish\purplish called pumpkin and I'd bake and use, but need a blender to puree or it will be stringy. Not sure what we'll do there.
Last night we went with Sister Felicia (that's when we discovered my mistaken Thanksgiving ideas) to Singapore to attend the World Wide Training. Closed my eyes driving across the causeway in some parts. Drivers zoom very fast and follow extremely close so no one can cut in front of them and there were 10,000 motorbikes. That is no exaggeration. That's how many go across every day to work in Singapore and come home every night. It was harrowing. Very narrow lanes and lots of traffic. Then on the way home, Sister Eunice our driver -(R.S. Pres in branch) hit the car in front of us. They both got out - he was a policeman - and she asked him why he had this huge thing sticking out the back of his car. (It was a hitch - we explained later. "A heech - what is this heech thing, she asked) Anyway her car was the only one with a dent, so we all drove on. Sometimes the traffic can be so backed up that it takes hours to get across. Oh yes... the broadcast was excellent and we enjoyed it immensely. Again struck by the huge difference between Singapore and Malaysia. Different countries - different governments - Singapore wealthy, Malaysia not)
This is the Sili family - recently baptized. Father in the center, wife on the right, then daughter Caroline who is 19 years old. (And a real beauty ) Just left of the father is Brother Tinggom - a new member who did the baptizing and far left is the Sili's son. They are a great family who are the only Christians in an area that is very strongly Muslim. The elders like to say that this part of town has 100% of the Christians as Mormons - all 4 of them. One day Brother Sili who was friends with Bro. Tinggom asked him where he went on Sundays. Brother Sili said, "We go to church, would you like to go with us?" The rest is history as they say - two new member families, both seem to be very strong. We will be so happy when the elders finish their re-teaching and then we get our turn to visit and teach them and of course, learn from them. We've been to visit their home once - very humble home - fed us an awesome meal - wild boar.
This is Felix - baptized last week-end and confirmed today. He's the one who says, "When you know it's true, you really don't have a choice. You must be baptized." Elder Gregory tells more in his post below.

This whole post seems very disjointed - sorry - it's been a long day.

3 comments:

Danna said...

Augh! All these baptisms! Its absolutly insane. Can't get over how many people there are to teach and baptize- I want a do- over!

Danna said...

Hey Nyla! This is Kami, I hijacked Danna's account. I love your blog! I cannot believe you are in Malaysia. Man, you must be melting. I can't wait to get the updates. Hope you feel special - this is only my second comment on a blog ever. That means you are pretty important. Happy Thanksgiving! Kami

Roxann said...

I am trying to think of easy recipes that don't require baking. Can you get pasta or noodles? What about dairy products and cheese? Can you get a good selection of vegetables? Tomatoes? Could you do stir-fried vegetables and chicken or other meat and serve with pasta or noodles. Or cook rice ahead of time so you just have to heat it on the stovetop and do something similar with the veggies. If you can get good dairy and cheese, you could do alfredo-type sauces. If you can get tomatoes you could do tomato-based sauces. Don't know if the people like that or not. I think you could even do chick/rice casserole on the stovetop by reheating pre-cooked rice with a little water after church. Mix all the other ingredients before church and heat it after church for the sauce and then just mix the rice and sauce together and serve. If you use a topping maybe you could toast it in a dry pan on the stovetop and just sprinkle it on top before serving. p.s. I don't think the pumpkin is the same. They had 'pumpkin' in Aus, too, and it made beautiful soup or a squash side dish, and it was even orange inside (green outside), but it didn't taste right at all for pumpkin pies. Hope this week has gone okay. You are probably doing Thanksgiving right now! Hope it is going very well. Happy Thanksgiving to you all.