Tuesday, November 2, 2010

We're Surviving - sort of Nov 2nd

Nyla writing:


We have gotten some of our basic problems here solved - like internet, cell phone how-to, fixed the water spewing air conditioner, and walked to the grocery store and carried sacks back. It was hot and long and next time we will walk there and taxi back. We had district meeting here this morning - just the 4 elders here and us. We talked about investigators, new members and they they did a "culture day" just for us. Each elder took a few minutes and explained one of the races of people and where they are from and some of their traditions. Elder Jones also helped us look on the map, see where we live and where some things are that are in other locations. I did want to have lunch for them and they were very thrilled that I did so. But cooking is daunting - I tried a brownie mix that I found here in the apartment. There is no oven except for a little counter top thing, and of course, it's Celsius. They burned black on the bottom. Did a pasta salad, cabbage salad, and carrot sticks. Well, it wasn't much but everything was gone, including the burned brownies. Maybe I'll improve. We can only hope. I'm still heating water on the stove to wash dishes. Just can't quite resort to doing that in cold yet, but I understand I will eventually. We’ve visited with some new members and investigators. Usually go with the elders, but the other night after one visit, they needed to visit somewhere else and we came back on the bus on our own. We told them if we ended up in some strange city\bus - we’d call them. But we actually made it home on our own and were quite proud of ourselves. We have to celebrate small accomplishments - they’re big to us.

Riding the bus is .... interesting - maybe that's not quite the right word, ( smelly, old, crowded etc. and the bus drive always takes off before you get in your seat). There are many moslem men and sometimes I've noticed that I'm just about the only woman. But yesterday I sat next to a man (no two seats together for Garald and I) and we had a nice conversation. I was so happy to hear he spoke English and I probably understood 80% of what he said. That might not sound like much to you, but I was thrilled. The homes we've been in are very basic - cement walls and floors, cut outs for windows. Some cover their floors with contact paper or vinyl type table cloths. Spartan furniture - if any. Always remove our shoes and sit on the floor. If food is served - it's on plates on the floor. My floor-sitting skills are not too great yet - but improving sort of. Food....? Well interesting is definitely the word here. Delicious mostly and sometimes I just don't look too deeply. Seems like chicken necks and sometimes chicken feet are the flavoring ingredients. Some green floaty things and white noodles like vermicelli. Nice plates of fruit - guava, watermelon, papaya. We are supposed to only drink bottled or "filtered" water and we try to do that. We have water filtering in our kitchen, but when we get in homes ... just can't say no... especially when we're very hot, sweaty and thirsty. Asked the elders about it and they said, "Hey... they're not dead, so it's okay." Not sure that's a great criteria.

Yesterday's trek to the grocery store was daunting at best. Didn't mind the 2 mile walk there, but carrying the sacks back was hard. Next time we'll walk there and taxi back. Live and learn, I guess. We've done taxis a couple of times and that's almost as interesting as the bus, especially if the driver doesn't speak English. Well, we've always made it back home, so can't argue with success. We really do go to bed exhausted every night - just seems like "living" takes our best efforts right now.

I haven't taken very many pictures yet - it just takes too much advance planning and energy, but I'll try to post a few here. We live in a tall apartment building on floor 3a - there's no floor 4 s that is bad luck. We have a credit card type of thingie that is called a tap card. Have to use it to get into the gated area outside and then into the locked door on the building, then use it to get the elevator to go up. Then unlock the metal grid door then, the main door after that. Gosh... that should be safe. Several members have told us this is not a safe town, but the elders said they have never felt threatened and we do try to be very vigilant and careful. Especially when I carry a bag - we put it between us so a motorbike rider (hundreds of them) can't pull it off as they go zipping past. And zipping is just the word for them - around, through, everywhere. Car lanes are not for them - apparently. Too tired to write any more right now. Tried to do some apartment pictures to upload. Will do grocery store and a birthday party we went to later.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Thanks for the info Mom and I love the pictures.. your apartment is nicer than what I imagined. Try to take more pic's if you can. I called and talked to Grandma today for a while, that was nice. Miss you, love you!
-Me