We went to Singapore for another conference this last weekend and it too was special with our mission president and Elder Pratt, A general authority teaching. But another white knuckle experience of finding our way around. We, I think, learned how to use the mass transit trains to get around in Singapore and next time it will be better. We spent an extra day with the Carpenters (a couple from Perry, Utah) who are neighbors of Neldon and Utahna. We did some site seeing in the city, which was fun and interesting. The Carpenters are going home this week.
We are getting around here in Johor Bahru better now and I am learning to drive on the left side of the road with the steering and controls on the wrong side of the car. When I make a turn quite often I switch on the wind shield wipers instead of the turn signal. Oh well, haven't wrecked yet. Nyla thinks that I am learning to drive like the Malaysians. Crazy!!! There are an extimated 10,000 motos (motor bikes) travel the roads each day and they don't stop for stop signs or stay in lanes. They just zip around where ever there is a tiny space. Nyla says that lanes and stop signs and traffic laws are just suggestions.
We are still having baptisms almost every week and the Iban people are really grasping the truth of the Gospel. That is surely gratifying to see and experience. They are really fun people and the kids all call us grandpa and grandma, but they can't say it plain. We can now offer a simple prayer and testimony (slowly) in Malay, and and are putting in a great effort to learn the language as fast as we can. Nyle much faster than me. Nyla is teaching English on Saturday mornings and piano lessons. She is starting seminary classes this week. I am teaching Gospel Doctrine, Institute lessons, and the missionary lessons to newly baptized members.
Enough already
Elder Gregory
No comments:
Post a Comment