Saturday: Started with an early morning run. When we first arrived here, I gave a token effort to running and then kind of gave up as the heat\humidity made it so difficult. But in recent weeks, I've taken it up again (heck, it's always going to be too hot or too cold, isn't it?) And I'm enjoying it again. Guess it kind of helps me keep my sanity. Anyway, after running, we did a quick grocery run because we were having dinner guests in the evening after a baptism. The kids arrived for English class at 11:00 - 10 of them and 1 Mom. We did class and then had
pb & j sandwiches and they went to swim. I was thankful to get them out as I had to get things ready for dinner. But then it started raining - pouring and they were all back up to shower\change. I put on a movie and kind of wondered when they were going home. Garald had gone over to the church house for his 2:00 institute class. He called me and there was only 1 girl there, (not appropriate to be there alone) so I had to run over to attend class - leaving the kids in our apartment - oh my. Also leaving them with the tap card to get in and out. We can't even run the elevator in our building without the card, let alone any of the doors. After class, (one more did show up) I gave Eleanor a piano lesson and then we headed back home. Kids still here. We offered to take them home, but they said they were staying until the baptism. By then the rain had stopped somewhat, so I shooed them back to the pool. I hurriedly did a little clean up - fixed chicken soup (very large amt) and made brownies. Another bunch of kids came to swim, so I went down to the pool and sat with the Moms (trying to be social, but worrying about my dinner) for a few minutes, then back up to finish dinner and set up. Yup, they stayed until the baptism at 7:30 (that's 11:00 A.M. to 7:30 - kids) We all trouped over to the church and had a very nice baptism. Then 4 families back to our apartment for dinner. After the baptism, one of the swimming kids asked if they could come too and I told them - "you've been at my house all day - time to go home - come to dinner another time." The guests were mostly the Iban people and don't care for salad, but I wanted one, so I had fixed it earlier. I put the crock pot out with the soup in it and paper bowls by it, then the salad and small plates. We watched with surprise as several people put soup in their bowls, salad on top, ranch dressing - mixed it up and ate. Interesting! Well, it was a nice evening. By the time we cleaned up -it was definitely time for bed. Most of the food was gone - always the brownies are totally gone - I'd made 2 9x13 pans. Happy Birthday and happy baptism Jo Jo. We miss you!
Today Sunday - it has been literally pouring all day. The power was off at the branch building, (also our apartment) so we met in one little room where there was an auxiliary light. It was steamy hot and almost impossible for speakers to see their notes. Some of us had our cell phone lights, which we used. The newly baptized were confirmed, sacrament passed and talks given. By then everyone was sweating. So they called it for the day and sent everyone home. It is now several hours later and it's still pouring, but we do have power. Thank goodness for air conditioning. Although none of the local Iban people have air cons - some are fortunate enough to have fans. So hot.
What a week-end.
No comments:
Post a Comment