Thursday, February 3, 2011

It's New Years Day - Chinese New Years




Hi - N writing
Today is Chinese New Years. The streets are quiet and deserted. Every little Kedai (store) is closed. Public Holiday - School out for a week. Fireworks last night at midnight were truly something to behold. All over the city - lasted about 45 minutes. Never seen anything quite like it. We are invited tonight to a home for Chinese New Years Dinner. Love Chinese food here - am learning to duplicate in some very very small ways. Will never be the same when I try it at home - but it's sedap (delicious)
A pic from visiting last Tuesday. Rapina is the Mom, beautiful, isn't she? Speaks not a word of English. But the children do a little bit, so they tried to translate for her. Marisha on the left, baby in the middle is Ezra and Walter on the right. (steal your heart, don't they?) Children are so well mannered and delightful. Dad is not a member and he was at work. We have an appt with them next Monday to do a family home evening. I'm so nervous to do that, but seems like when we 'wade in' and get started, it flows along. To our kids: children here are just loving those poppers we always did - ordered some from Oriental Trading. They squeal with delight and adults seem to enjoy them as well. We leave a handful at every house.
Another visit the same day. Michael and Juana and two of their kids. We did our first 'after baptism' lesson with them. They are a very solid Iban couple. He works in Singapore - travels over every day - leaves about 3:00 in the morning and gets home about 7 or 8:00 at night. He's a welder. We only have 3 elders in our area right now. Lots of recent problems with border crossings and elders being denied entry. Glad I'm not the mission president dealing with that. The last elder who left Singapore to get his stamp (something we all have to do every 3 months to keep our visas current) Anyway guess they didn't like the looks of him - gave him 24 hrs in Singapore and had to leave. So he's been over here with us in JB. Went back last Tues and this time they gave him 13 days. We usually get 3 months. The Indonesian elder who was supposed to come here couldn't get into Malaysia. We don't have to cross again until April, so we're kind of thinking we might steer clear of emigration for a while.
Chinese New Years Eve - last night at the Tan family home. Dad (Alvin) on the right was the first branch president here. His wife is Phillipino and their children are Eleanor, (goes into Singapore every day for University - she's in Garald's Instittue class) Davis in the yellow shirt (he's in my Seminary class) and Eugene on the back. (also institute) Bro & Sis Tan were first members here in JB and held church in their home for several years until others were converted and a branch started. They speak English (hooray for us) Oh yes, mandarin oranges are the New Years gift of choice for everyone. They symbolize prosperity and gold, good wishes. Love my new Chinese jacket - given to me by Eunice, the branch R.S. president. I don't want to tell you the next part - it's a size xxlg. It was too big for her and too small for her mother, so I was the recipient. Lucky me!

Visiting last Tuesday. Eunice on the right went with us - she's R.S. Pres. Augustine is on the left. 16 years old - smart, speaks good English. Could go far in life if he would just go down the right jalan (path) But rarely comes to church and haven't been able to get him out to Seminary. He doesn't realize it, but church activity could totally change his life. Hard for lots of them to see.
Took my camera with me on my walk this morning. Oh the trash everywhere...so disappointing in such a beautiful country. Sofas, mattresses just left on sides of the road or even in little parks by people who don't want them.
A little stream on my walk. When we talk to people in the 'flats' area ( pics later) it just kills me when I see them unwrap candy, or anything for their children - wrapper just goes on the ground. Trash everywhere and after rain and mud... well you can imagine!
Another canal area on my walk. I like to "hope" that fish in the restaurants don't come from here. Smelly always.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I sent this to Uncle Darvel; I thought you might enjoy reading it too.
Nancy
Amber Dunn shared this letter with us in a talk she gave in sacrament meeting (Jan 2011). She said that Brother Young came to tune her piano and he brought his life history with him. This letter came from his life history; he let her copy and share it.

About Missionary Work
As letters from our missionary grandchildren came home, we rejoiced in being able to re live their experiences vicariously. It was a constant reminder to the truthfulness of the gospel. Families that are fortunate enough to have a missionary in the field are truly blessed.
The following letter was written by an investigator in Russia. I decided to include it in my history.


Who Are You Boy?
Who are you boy, for a boy you are journeyed to this land of ours.
This land where I’ve endured my days, and felt oppression kill my soul and force me into some tight mold.
And teach me that I should not hope unless I can care to smell the smoke of dreams that the Red Army tamed.
Who are you boy, from this land of plenty, teaching of God if there is any.
You have all, we have none. Do you know what that feels like son?
And yet, you ask me to believe in something that I cannot see, some force you say will bring me joy. Do you know what that feels like boy?
Where you are from, faith is free, but for me it has a price.
When I have pain, I have my bottle. Hurt dies quick when you down it in Vodka. That’s enough to warm my soul.
I work, I sleep, the days go by – I’m waiting for the day I die.
You don’t understand this place. You say, believe, obey, have faith, live life well, serve and give.
Here in Russia we just live.
Who are you boy? Why did you come?
To save a soul who once was numb. To teach a wretched, hateful man who cursed your help, refused your hand.
I thought that we were worlds apart. So how is it that you knew my heart?
A fraction my age you calmed my rage, mercy paid my generous wage.
I should have been left behind. It is hard to love my kind.
Hope in your heart, power in your hands, why did you come to this distant land?
I know now, it was for me. The red curtain fell, but I was not free.
Until a boy from nations away brought me my Lord, I bless the day.
He led me to weep at my Master’s feet, the American boy I met on the street.
New and naïve, still in his teens, with a message to bring the world to its knees.
I thought that the truth would come from another – I did not know this boy was my brother.

Danna said...

Mom, i have noticed in every counrty I have ever visited, that litter is only an american concept. It was a huge frusration for me in england too. A kid in a stroller would finish his juice box or whatever and the mom would tell him to just drop it. The garbage was astounding,