Friday, March 18, 2011
It's been a busy week - Sister G
We're so glad to be busy. We've had an 'after baptism' lesson to give several days this last week. Also are teaching an elderly gentleman (Chinese) who speaks English and wanted us to teach him. Peter Chai. His wife and daughter have been members for about 10 years, but he has not been interested. Today we went to their home for lunch and took the elders and let them take over the teaching. We hope he'll stick with his proposed baptism date - April 16 - the day before his birthday. We helped with an 'all day' YW project\activity. We are also in charge of ordering anything the branch or branch members want from the church, including church magazines and garments. So when some wants to order something, they tell me what they want and give me the money - many church products here are subsidized by the church so local people can sometimes afford to buy them. So then we go to the bank during the week (we usually walk) make a deposit, then bring the deposit slip back to the apartment - make out an order form and fax it along with the receipt to the Singapore office. Sometimes it's quite a process for a $3.10 order. At first I was very nervous doing that, but I'm getting the hang of it now.
One night Sister Eunice came to our apartment and cooked dinner. We invited Sister Felicia and Sister Cheryl - both single members and enjoyed her excellent cooking. I tried following her around the kitchen and taking notes. Finally just gave up and ate the good food. The dish above was pork. She also cooked a chicken dish. And - Hooray - she brought back my cornstarch that she had borrowed a couple of weeks ago. Aunt Karen sent it to me and I've used it a lot. Glad to get it back But also, I finally found some in a grocery store. I think I didn't recognize it before because of it's unusual packaging.
These are some of the other things she cooked. I know you can't seem them very well. We also have a drink called 100 plus. Garald doesn't like it, but I did and I'll miss it when we go home. Milk here is not good unless you buy the Australian milk and then it's okay, but very expensive. No such thing as 'fat free.'
Most people who live in our apartment bldg are Chinese. Just couldn't resist taking this little guy's picture. You can see some of our YW in the background. This is the entryway for our apt bldg.
Okay this picture is just for fun. Beautiful Malaysian flowers. Growing in a little pond in our entryway - ground level. They don't bloom for very long.
On Thursday for the YW activity we went one direction for about 20 miles to pick up Fazima - girl on the right - I can't remember the other girl's name. She's an investigator - we hope.
Then we went about 30 miles the other way to pick up Ernissha. (Aren't both girls beautiful!) She is Brother Tinggom's daughter and has 5 brothers. Their family was baptized about 6 months ago. We have just finished giving them all of the 'after baptism' lessons. Picking up, activity, taking home - lots of miles. We enjoyed it.
We did a service activity - cleaning a 'less active' members home. After cleaning, we went to an outdoor Chinese place for lunch. Then the girls came to our apt bldg. to play Badminton and tennis. We have to reserve those in advance. Everyone enjoyed.
The lunch was a cafeteria style of service. The food on top of Garald's rice (always rice with every meal) is pig ears. I passed. He even said they weren't that great. But I did have some good sweet\sour fish and a great cabbage and vegetable dish. The Chinese make great food, but the vegetables are the very best. Love them.
Here's a pic of all the girls eating lunch. That's Rhymy on the left. She is the YW Counselor's little daughter. And she'd rather read than eat.
Here's our 'official' pose after the cleaning project. The gal on the floor on the left in black is Rosalind. This is her home we cleaned. Following are some pics I took of her house.
All floors are cement, but sometimes they put this kind of 'contact paper' covering over the cement. You can see a spot here where the covering ends. Audrey vacuumed and I mopped.
The washing machine. Many times they are outside in the courtyard but this was between the living room and the kitchen.
Kitchen shelves. She is a great cook and you have to marvel at what comes out of some of these little kitchens. During the day she sells live fish, and frogs in the local market. Not much profit, though, I'm afraid. Sometimes makes about 1.00 ringett money, on some sales - which is about 30 cents.
This is the family that was baptized last Saturday night. We're so glad the elders keep us busy with new converts to give the 'after baptism' lessons to. Many stay faithful, but unfortunately sometimes they are 'inactive' before we even get to them. They have a hard time understanding this is a 'lifetime' commitment. Transportation and working on Sundays just seems to be too much to overcome sometimes.
Just a portion of our apartment dinner after the baptism - had soup for very many. Mya and Afton - can you see the Valentines you sent us hanging on the wall. Everyone admires.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Such great pics. Love the beautiful girls and flowers!
Post a Comment