Sunday, July 3, 2011

Happy 4th of July from West Malaysia - N here

Ahhhh... those of us who live in a country with democracy, freedoms and opportunities. Celebrate Independence Day with gusto. A country that is meaningful to all LDS people around the world, because it was prepared for the restoration of Christ's gospel - thanks to those who fought, bled and died for our 'freedom of choice.' We honor and respect our 'home country' - a blessing to all who live there and we appreciate it in a new way. A frequent sentiment we often hear from anyone who has lived in a third world country. Add us to the list - we have a deeper appreciation.

A happy birthday today to our one little sparkler - Sophie - born one year ago today to 'Uncle Sam.' He usually dangles her upside down in front of the computer monitor when we Skype. If she ever recognizes us on our return - we will definitely be 'upside down.' Hey happy birthday to you too, Kimberly. Did you always love having fireworks on your birthday?

When we got back from our walk this morning - literally dripping, we decided that no matter how hot we may be next year on the 4th, we must remember we were hotter this year.

Taken in our apt after Saturday night's baptism. The couple on the right (isn't she beautiful) Andy and Teresa - scheduled for the next baptism. They're solid and can't wait. Converted from Hinduism to Christianity a few years ago and have been looking for the 'restored' church ever since. He tells us he has converted over 20 friends and family to Christianity and can't wait to introduce them to Mormonism. We can't wait either. He works at the America Club in Singapore - educated, capable, personable and so thankful for the church. A prayer offered in his apartment last week, thanking the Lord for the 4 missionaries in his living room - well, I can't express how touching it was.
Another view of the apartment after the baptism. We had cake and ice cream. Fun!

Amy on the right - Dalbina (daugher) on the left. We attended a couple of times when the missionaries taught them. It kind of started out like this with one of the elders: "Did you bring the pamphlets?" "No, didn't you bring them?" Oh well. "Did you bring the white board marker?" "No, didn't you bring them?" Oh well. Then proceeded with a lesson that we thought was extremely boring. We remember what Elder Bednar said, "Heaven help us if we have to rely on you missionaries to teach the gospel. But teach the best you can and the Spirit will testify." And indeed it did. Amy, who is a little shy, can't wait to tell us every time we see her, about some meaningful part she's found in her reading in B of M. Elder Bednar said he asks new converts all over the world about their conversion experience. And invariably they say something like,"It was so confusing - gold plates, angels, grove of trees... Aw, but we could see the teachers for who and what they were and wanted to know more."

Sunday after church we had the Garrett's from mission office and Bro Alan (hi counselor living here from Boise - he has a Ph.D in microbiology) and the new couple living on their yacht in Danga Bay for lunch. Now they are quite entertaining with their Aussie accent and tales of boating for the last 5 years. We all attended a wedding in the evening. Unfortunately this pic should have been last - it was the buffet after the 2 1\2 hour wedding ceremony. I was hungry, but the curry was more than I could handle. I've tried hard (HONEST) and thought I'd get better at liking it, but cannot. This is Felicia from the branch. She's getting married (marrying Wee Lee) in August in the Hong Kong Temple. We're going to accompany them and we're excited about it. We weren't sure we'd get permission from the Area presidency, but their e mail said, "you have our permission - with enthusiasm." Boy... more new experiences. At least we'll be in Hong Kong (5 days - we're flying) with people who know their way around - thankfully. We're beginning to teach a temple preparation class next Sunday night. We hope to have a group to take to the Manila temple in Nov or Dec.

Another view of the cake\ice cream party. Sorry - these are really mixed up. That's Wee Lee - center back.

The beautiful women and beautiful clothing at the wedding. I'm not sure how they handle all this fabric in this heat - there were big wall fans - and I wasn't draped in yards but the sweat was running down my back.
More beautiful dresses and women
The bride and groom - sitting up on the stage. He's a member (Chinese)- she is not. Hence the wedding was very much her party and traditions. I hardly recognized her. They were to our apt for dinner a few weeks ago. She believes 'all paths lead to heaven' and "maybe someday I'll be interested - but not now." Always comes to church with Ken and we enjoy a nice friendship.

Do not ask me what all was going on - all I know is that there was a lot of ceremony.
Another pic of the bride. Actually I think she's more beautiful than she appeared in all the stuff she had on. But... TRADITION rules.
Garald had the camera here - we have no idea who these people are, but apparently happy to pose for a picture. A pic of the bride and groom in the background with more familiar wedding attire.
Each of the women in her family lined up, taking turns presenting 'blessing' kinds of things to her. Also did the same with the groom first.
This is when we first entered. I don't know why I have such a dingy look on my face - I was much happier than I look.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Mark McCuen's family at his passing. We are saddened. A kinder, gentler man - we've never known. We mourn with his family and our neighborhood and ward.

2 comments:

Danna said...

I love all the colors of their clothing. You are right. the women are beautiful! WHat cool experiences you are having.

Xenia said...

I love your facial expression in the last picture! Very beautiful women. Such a colorful place!