Sunday, July 24, 2011

July 24th It's really Pioneer Day in Johor Bahru - by N

We've had a full week and even more so this week-end. Today was the first meeting of our two new branches after last week's split. Several families in the new Masai branch have received permission to continue to attend the JB branch - leaving Masai branch really struggling. On Friday night at Seminary, we talked about the big Utah holiday on the 24th - Pioneer Day. (Most had never heard of it) I mentioned that this week would be Pioneer Day in JB with a new branch holding its first meetings. One of the students asked if I thought it was a coincidence that our first meeting would be on the same date as Utah's Pioneer Day. Although I told them they could think about it themselves, I felt it was a little sign that this little branch is as known and loved by our Heavenly Father as the original pioneers were. That they are definitely pioneers in every sense of the word and the church is very much in its beginning stages here. And though it feels small and struggling, it will grow and someday divide again. Kind of hard to imagine right now. We attended both branches today- something we won't be able to do once the new location is ready - although that may be a while as there are problems getting the building at this point. The Masai branch had 20 people - 4 children in Primary. No one prepared to teach Sunday School or Relief Society. Very shaky - we're hoping some callings to be made this week and a little more organization next week. It takes about 5 minutes to pass the Sacrament to everyone. Fortunately there were enough elders there to do that. We're continuing our Temple Prep class on Sunday nights - both branches members' invited. A potential temple trip is being planned for Manila, Phillippine at the first of next year. We're so hoping there will be some members who will be able to plan ahead and attend.

A pic of my Seminary class on Friday night. We played Charade with the scripture mastery scriptures. I wasn't sure they'd be willing to participate. But they did and we had a lot of fun. Because there have been issues with the date\time for Institute, Garald is now teaching that on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons - so all 4 of the students can choose the time best for them. I miss him in my Seminary class, but it's kind of fun to combine both classes for an opening prayer and song. Makes us feel like there's an actual 'group' rather than the often one or two.
We get to see the yacht. As you can see we arrived at Danga Bay on Thurs. night at sunset. Bro & Sis P. (yacht owners) on the right. Jeff (branch counselor) was taking picture and his 'bride to be (we hope) on the left. We kind of asked if we could have a tour and they seemed happy to do so.
We found their yacht to be small and compact. They built it themselves - showed us the plans. I did have to remark that if Garald built a yacht, I don't think I'd be sailing on it. Not much faith there. Took them 5 years to build. They showed us pix of it in progress in their front yard in Australia. Their neighbors called him Noah. Amazing pix of the huge crane that picked it up, loaded on a huge trailer and towed it to the ocean port. They've now lived on it for 5 years. I can see it's definitely something I could never do. I have a hard time with our apartment, which now seems very spacious.
The quarters were snug. And I asked the extremely intelligent question, "Gosh, how do you go places and not get lost...? He tried to explain the technology of the computer run navigation system. They can actually program their destination and the yacht steers itself. If I tried that we'd probably be off course by a few thousand miles.
Jeff & Cheryl were enjoying the tour as much as we were. Although 6 of us onboard meant not much moving around or passing each other.
Bro P. again explaining how 'things' worked. Don't ever ask for an explanation from me. I did see lots of fun buttons I'd like to push. He suggested I not do that. When they are out in the ocean, they each take 4 hour shifts to 'keep watch.' Their bedroom was under the hull and one needed to bend over to walk the little hallway leading into it. COZY!
The living room - they introduced us to their family through the pix on the wall. Behind the sofa - lots and lots of books to read. It was such a fun evening and I do admire their adventurous spirit to 'live their dream.' Well, she said it was his dream and she went along. Kudos to her - she's made of more patient\supportive kind of stuff than me. They're such an asset to the JB branch and we're so glad to have them here. Today she led the singing in Sac. Mtg and I played. We both giggled as we forgot to do the last verse until the congregation started without us. Oh well!. After the 'tour' we all walked along the bay and ate at a small restaurant. Heard lots of fun stories of their life in Australia when they were just regular 'home owners.' So nice of them to indulge our curiosity.
We visited many 'seldom seen' members this last week to encourage some attendees to the two new branches and tell them about changed meeting times. Several promised they would attend. No one did - typical. This is what we call 'the block house' apartment building. There are so many like this and the living conditions are rather grim. But do notice that many have satellite dishes. Oh and LAUNDRY - always hanging everywhere. It's so hard to get things dry here in this humidity and then just when you think you've dried the clothes, a rain storm buckets down. Seems like stairwells and walkways are always wet. So am I. Kind of gave up on umbrellas - have lost several and never seem to have one when I need it.
Random picture here - just holding out hope that we may not need the services of the many 'surgeri' centers we see. But hey... I'm sure they would be quite inexpensive. Our friends and neighbors (Bruce & Jane) are coming this week to pick up their son from this mission. We're hoping they will be able to stay with us one night and anxiously looking forward to real American visitors. What a treat! Can't wait.

1 comment:

Danna said...

Wow- Love the pics of the boat. They are adventurous! That is interesting about the branch. I always love your posts!