Hi- We're finding our January to be very fast paced and busy. Whew! I remember our first days here as kind of quiet and boring - definitely not that way now.

Last week was our quarterly seniors conference in Singapore. What a great day. We went over on Thursday night and had a delicious meal and get together at the mission couples residence - Passir House. YUM - ham and baked potatoes - real American food - tastes so good and enhanced with such good company. We stayed at a member's home this time (it was our turn - we all want to stay at Passir house but not enough bedrooms) and then met for all day meetings on Friday. Rejuvenating and inspirational to hear what others are doing and how things are going in their areas. The AP's also took some time in the afternoon and discussed local customs, food, etc. and working relationships between the young missionaries and the seniors. They did such a great job and invoked quite a bit of lively discussion.

After our meetings, we traveled on MRT to the Marina Bay Sands Area and had a delicious buffet dinner and then went to the Broadway show - Wicked. What a great day. This pic is on our way in the mall between dinner and theater. Loved the show and want to go again.

This is at Passir house - visiting with Sister Lowe who is going home in two weeks. She's a senior single sister - have loved getting to know her.

Just one pic of the buffet - sushi and such -

Oh yes - some lighter moments, as the senior missionaries that are departing did a funny skit. There are 7 couples leaving in the next few months. We're all fervently hoping there are some new ones coming to replace us. We will have one more sr conf before we leave. The couple closest here in the pic are new part-time service missionaries from Pleasant Grove. They live with their son in a beautiful high rise in Penang. Senior missions are now available in so many different ways. They continue to tele-commute for their work and still serve as missionaries. Delightful friends.
Here are a few quotes from senior conference that were memorable:
All you can bring to the work is your testimony.
This is the hardest thing we've ever done.
Referring to the young missionaries, "Sometimes I do so wish their parents could see them now."
We're here because of the 'garden' and because of 'how lovely was the morning.'
I didn't know my husband was sooo annoying until I lived with him 24\7.
Yes, being together sometimes is hard - Just wish I could simply buy my make-up without his help.
This from a new senior sister as she bore her testimony, "I'm happy to be here and I'm beginning to get adjusted. BUT I REFUSE to use those squatty toilets." Mmm, we just kind of looked at each other and said - yup, we all said the same thing at first. The day will come....
Oh and I have to add this one, "Be careful how you treat your little snot-nosed 12 year old scout because someday he may be your mission president." (true for one of our sr elders)

When we returned home on Saturday - Elder & Sister Brown accompanied us and stayed 2 days with us and hosted a family history seminar at our apartment on Sunday. Somehow I thought we were just having the newly called consultants and just about EVERYONE from both branches came. It was wall to wall people in our apartment and not nearly enough lunch. Oh well. Anyway, the Brown's had an invitation from some sisters in KL to attend a Malay wedding on Saturday and we were able to tag along. Here's a pic of some of the guests watching as the bride and groom arrived.

Wedding pic

Most Malay people eat with their hands so this is where you wash up when you're through.

Guests eating under the canopy

Garald and I at the buffet - If you hold your monitor close - I'm pretty sure you'll be able to smell the curry. I can - just looking at this.

Okay, Morris & Ruth Ann - This pic is just for you. The Ho (sp?) sisters traveled from KL and were our hosts at the wedding who was a daughter's business associate. They love you and we promised to convey their greetings.

Some of the women relatives sitting\visiting - Just like we do at weddings. Bet they're saying pretty much the same things too - just in a different language.

Beautiful and colorfully dressed children in the wedding procession.

The bride and groom -

This cute little gal was passing out little cups of ice cream. She couldn't carry too many at once as they melt so fast in the heat. She loved having her picture taken.

Monitor lizard one day at a beach - we see them occasionally - yum - lunch and here we are without our flipper - darn. (just kidding - not about the lunch part as they are a delicacy, but we really don't carry flippers - like some people here we know)
2 comments:
They better send some more couple over there. They better not ask you to extend! The spring is coming and with that the anticipation of your coming back to the motherland. :) I'm glad you guys are having fun! What a fun post. I especially loved the senior couples' testimonies!
Yeah- I agree, the seniors testimonies are great. Fun wedding pictures. Is the couple from yort Masai branch getting married before you leave?
Post a Comment