Thursday, November 11, 2010

Nama Burrita

Elder Gregory Writing:
Nama Burrita (a greeting in Iban)
Yesterday we went for the second time to the Antang family's home. Four married couples, two teenagers and one little girl about 4 y/o live there. We visited (Nyla and I just listened since we couldn't understand) for about an hour while we waited for everyone to come home from work. They work late here, don't get home until 7 or 8 p.m. When everyone was there, I gave a lesson on the Melchezidek Priesthood, with an interpreter, and on temple marriage. They have been members for just a few months. After they they brought out and put on the floor a huge meal, consisting of rice (of course) and all kinds of stuff. There was some kind of dried, smoked fish with bones, which was very good. They also had green beans with little whole fish cooked in them with heads, innerds and everything. I liked that, But Nyla picked out the fish and discretely put them on my plate. They had something like banana squash and this whole meal was served without any utensils. We just ate with our fingers. Picking up rice with your hands was quite an experience, but OK. After that, Uki (his name), the grandpa, did an Iban Tribe ceremonial dance. Very interesting. Then they played on the DVD( no matter how poor these people are, they all have a TV and a DVD player) some music and we all danced a Iban dance kind of like a line dance. It was all very fun.
----OUT---

2 comments:

Xenia said...

When you come back, we need to have a no-utensil party! I'm already getting excited!

Kristin said...

Wow- the eating with your hands thing is fun. My childhood dream. The having of a TV is like the people I served in Chile- it's a priority! :)