Sunday, February 13, 2011

Preparation Day pics and class

Here's a picture of the students who come to my Saturday English class, (N writing) although it can vary greatly. This is our apartment where we kind of all squish in. Audrey, the tallest is very good at English and helps the little ones. Although I think the main reason she comes is to play on my laptop. Dylton, the boy, is a handful, but he loves to swim. So if he gets through class time, then he gets to swim. Saturday before last was Chinese New Years week-end and a lot of people were out of town. So I didn't think anyone would come and when the office called and said they were downstairs, I really had to scramble. Luckily I had a loaf of bread and peanut butter and jam for lunch. And managed to throw a lesson together. Then this last Saturday when I was very prepared with games, lunch, lesson etc. - no one came. I found out later there was school that day - wish someone would have told me. Oh well, now I'll have my lesson for next week. Although it's about American Valentines Day and it will be past, but guess we'll do it anyway. Apparently they don't really do it here, so I figure they can learn about it.
We have not really adhered to a certain Preparation Day, but have recently decided to make Wednesdays that day and to not plan ANY appointments, study, classes or ANYTHING. It's been kind of nice to look forward to that day and just do 'for fun' kind of things without feeling guilty about doing it. We tend to 'stick to business' other days and so this makes a nice day to look forward to. This is a picture of a bird show at the zoo where we went last Saturday. The elders went with us. It was good - but hot - could do the whole zoo in about an hour and a half which was plenty long. The zoo is the only place in this country where you will see horses.
The entrance to the zoo - admission was $rm3.00 which was $1.00 American. Look at the beautiful orchids - just growing outside.
Just a little 'zoo view.' Most animals were caged but these were not. Wish I'd gotten a picture of the orangutan who was smoking. Really - he had a cigarette and knew how to use it. We can see most people around here smoke, but that was a first for us.
A drive to Desaru Beach on the South China Sea. That's Felicia on the left. The waves were quite high and the water was warm. It's the only beach we've seen where people were enjoing the water. Very nice beach.
Yup - just us. We did take off our shoes and wade and of course the waves came up higher than we'd anticipated and we got quite wet. Felt good in the heat.
A view of some of the swimmers and waves.

2 comments:

Danna said...

are you allowed to swim in the ocean?

Xenia said...

You two look good! I'm certainly glad to see that. That ocean looks awesome. I'm glad you're enjoying the warmth :) The weather has been pretty depressing here in Utah.