Saturday, February 12, 2011

Thoughts on the past week - N writing

Usually I do the secular writing here and Garald does the spiritual. (so guess I'm the 'large plates' person right?) Just seems to work out that way. But we'll change that today. This last week has been a good one in most respects. On Wednesday we gave our last 'after baptism' lesson to Bro Ng and his wife Pong. They're both Chinese and so we needed a translator and have been able to find one for every Wednesday - thankfully. As Garald finished the lesson on enduring to the end, Pong pointed to each one and said, "Yes, she could do that and yes she could do that." She asked what the 'word of wisdom' meant and when we explained she said that was no problem. But then she very timidly admitted through Bro. Jeff - the translator - that she couldn't read the Book of Mormon. She said it was too hard and she can't understand it. I think that took courage for her to say that. We gave her a list of scriptures we received at home from Bro Mair and suggested she just read those listed and check them off and that would be very good. She agreed to do that. Garald also promised her that if she kept reading and trying to understand that her understanding would grow and increase. They are very faithful in attending every Sunday and have been such a joy to meet with every week. We're sorry to see our scheduled times come to an end. But we have other 'newly baptized' that we must move on. Sometimes their belief and faith elicits great admiration on our part. Other times, some are baptized and have 'fallen away' before we even get to the end of the lessons. So sad.
On Thurs we had an appt with Bro Tinggom and Rose and their family - 6 children. We had prepared family history booklets and gave the lesson on temples and family history. Then showed them how to begin filling out their pedigree and family group sheets. They were very interested. Our limited Malay and Bro T's limited English - got us through. Couldn't get a translator. We loved seeing their interest, although the Iban people have very few records and most ancestors are back in Sarawak or Borneo. We hope they'll be able to find some names to send or take to the temple. They are very desirous of going to the temple, but they really live in abject poverty. We hope that through the Church Temple Fund there can be some help. Although they have 1 son who is 17 and is not a member. They asked if he could be sealed to them. We had to tell them we'd find out for sure on that, even though we thought we already knew. Checked the handbook when we got home - yup, of course, he must hold the Aaronic Priesthood if over 12 years old to enter the temple and be sealed. We will be sad to relay that to them.
Friday night, I had prepared for so long on my Seminary lesson. Hardly anyone came, but at least there were 3 there. They're good kids, but their English is limited and I know I must be on my toes, because once I start reading from my notes, I kind of lose them. Must do it all in conversational type style. Martin Harris, lost pages, Oliver Cowdrey, even the D & C are all totally new things in their lives. They've never heard of any of it. We're trying to do the scripture mastery, but it's hard for them - memorizing and English and scripture all in the same task. They try and I'm trying with them. Sometimes it's sooooo hard. But I'm touched by their willingness to try. Even though I know many times they are there under duress, from parents. Guess we all went to Seminary under duress at times. I have a basket of candy bars that I left them choose from when they pass off a scripture. They are very intrigued with the 'pop rocks' that Cl sent in a pkg. (thank you) They're favorite choices. And I ALWAYS make a treat for the end of class. Garald said I can't keep that up - but guess I'll do it as long as I can.
He taught his Institute class today - 2 students and we're just leaving to help with a YW activity. We've been invited to a "Chinese food only" pot luck. We may have to miss it or go later. On Wednesday, Preparation Day, (which we have now committed we are going to adhere to strictly from now on - we need it) we picked up the elders and went to the zoo.
Gee...it sounds like we're busy and sometimes we are. But there are some 'middle of the week\daytime hours' that we must be creative to fill. Those are hard days. Oh well. Life is Good. Love to all.

No comments: