Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday night - time for bed - N writing

It's been a nice week-end. Seminary class went pretty well, with 6 attending Friday night. I'd forgotten how much I love the D&C. So much there for inspiration. Saturday the English class kids didn't show up - I never know if they're coming or not (I kind of enjoyed the reprieve)- but we had a good turn out in the afternoon for the Institute class. Then we took our 2 new elders and drove around neighborhoods in Seri Alam to try to help them find a place to live. Got some good leads. They are living close by with the other four elders, but it's a very long bike ride to their assigned area. The other night, our phone rang at 10:30 PM and they were distraught. Clear out in that area, both bicycles had been stolen in spite of being chained up with several chains - no taxis anywhere - and no bus service for the night. Garald rescued them. They'd also had one of their best investigators blow them off and were soaking wet in the rain. It was NOT a good day for them. But that phone call was not nearly as scary as the one we got at 2:30 in the morning last week. One of our good friends and member threatening suicide. Here's a lesson for us - don't go to bed with an empty gas tank - one never knows when you'll be going a long distance in the middle of the night. All ended well and it would probably be best to not say any more about that. Oh yes... and thanks a LOT for the middle of the night phone call the other night where Carrie Lyn and then Danna Lee also called to laughingly tell us to NOT read an e mail sent by mistake. Such abuse from home - we don't deserve it. And THEN they all went out to dinner without us last night. But I got pics, so I'm a little appeased. Our love and prayers are with particular family members as they face difficult challenges right now. About all we can do this far away is go to our knees and we do.
Today we had a good church block, with dinner here at our apartment after for Agnes, Chrstina and Peter who we've been helping to teach. Peter's still set for an April baptism date and seems to be doing fine. After they left, we went with two of the elders to visit two families. One is a new family to us. Two of the elders met them last week. Dad's not a member, but the mother and grandmother are. Two little children. When they saw the elders in the street, they ran out to meet them and invited them to come over today. Dad is out of work and Mom works at a factory on Sundays. No transport to church. Seems like it's either work on Sunday or no transportation. Hard life for so many people here. Their home was pretty bleak. We can offer to get them for church, but can't do that all the time. They must learn to sacrifice and get to church on their own. Difficult task for many. Seems like Monday is becoming a 'recovery day from the week-end.' We do have several appointments with families for Monday evening. Should keep us busy and we have a full schedule for the week. Life is good.
Hey... whoever sent me that one pkg of Danish Dessert - the elders thank you profusely from the bottom of their very hungry little hearts. I bought fresh Korean strawberries last week (might avoid the Japanese ones for a while) made a cake, squirty cream - here are some of the words I heard - "Oh, this is glorious - can't believe it - awesome - can I have more? - heavenly - Sister Gregory, you're the best" - well, apparently it was a hit. Thank you to whoever sent it - think it was CL or DL. I think I remember ancient recipes for how to make that from jello - well, if I had any jello, I might try it. Jello here is.... just weird.

No comments: