Blog
Today we returned from a conference in Kuala Lumpur. Although many good things happened, including a brief, enjoyable time to visit with other seniors, the highlight was our three and a half hour meeting with Elder Bednar. No one could have walked out of that meeting without knowing you’d just heard from an apostle . He began by asking anyone there who had a suit coat on to take it off and then said, “Let’s get to work.” If I tried to put in print all that he said, you couldn’t get the “feel” of what was there. It was quite incredible. He began by saying he had something to say to senior missionaries and then threatened that if we quoted him on our blog to our grandchildren and then it was blasted around the world - he’d come find us. Laughingly told us our church membership would be in jeopardy. Said he would ‘unbind’ or ‘unseal’ us from our children and grandchildren and, “I have the keys.” It was endearing and in keeping with his wishes, I won’t quote him, but felt great truth in what he said.
He had just come from creating the first stake in Indonesia. Starting at 8:00 A.M. on Saturday morning - by noon on Saturday, they had a stake presidency, high counselors and 8 bishops called. Then proceeded with ward boundaries, and ordaining all of them to the Melchezidek Priesthood and setting apart. He told us that someday in future years, we might drive by this location where we were meeting today (a v shaped room above a cafe) and said we will tell others that we were in on the foundation of the work in Malaysia. And someday there will be stakes here and temples and many members. Out of small things proceedeth that which is great. It will happen, because it’s the Lord’s Way. Very comforting as converts\Christians are difficult and few in this Muslim country.
Missionaries responded as he asked for thoughts on a scripture he had selected and he respected, honored and answered fully thought expressed and every question that was asked. Some of the questions were: Would you tell us about your call as an apostle? Did you have a premonition about it? He told us details of it - that he was stunned. He said, “Anyone who would expect to be called as an apostle, would be a nut case.”
Of course, missionaries asked about how to find the right girl to make a temple marriage work. We’re always amazed at how many of the missionaries here are from divorced parents. They asked how to adjust back into the world when they return. And he told us, “you never will. You don’t ever really leave the mission field. When your mission is over, I submit - it’s really just beginning. You’re now a missionary for life.” One elder asked about the appropriateness of when and where to share spiritual experiences. He said, “if anyone shares their deeply spiritual experiences, you wonder at the credibility of them. Anyone who speaks to be recognized or make themselves look important, is practicing Priestcraft. He was very candid and forthright on many subjects. I’d like to tell so much more, but afraid it loses its spirituality and significance to me in the telling. It was an incredible time and one for which I’m deeply grateful. I hope I can always remember the things he said, but more importantly the spirit felt. At the end, he asked us to only write down and answer one question, “What have I observed learned and felt today and what will I do because of it?” I hope I’m a better person because of what I observed, learned and felt.
1 comment:
How I love reading your postings. You convey the true spirit of senior missionary experiences. Thank you for sharing. Each mission is so unique, but all are similar in how the Spirit guides, protects and blesses.
Thank you,
Judy Richins
Post a Comment